Of course, the first symbol that comes to everyone's mind is the Swastika. Although this design is in wide use by people of the Indian peninsula for thousands of years, the entire meaning of the symbol was changed to fit the mistaken beliefs of Hitler and his Nazi party.
However, this is far from the only symbol to be reused or even misinterpreted. The Ichthys was used to hide Christians from open persecution and is now worn as a badge of honor, similar to the Cross. The sign of Asclepius may have been confused with the sign of Caduceus. The All Seeing Eye was a symbol for the power of God and his omnipresence and now is used as a warning of groups which wield power for evil intents.
The power symbols hold over us take us into territory covering the innate nature of humans to seek ways to control events we know we cannot. This manifests itself in numerology and superstition, among other quirks.
Send us an email with feedback or nog smoggers to email@example.com
Available on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, Youtube, Pocketcasts, Overcast, & Castro
Leave us a review and we'll give a shoutout!
Follow us on Instagram or Twitter: smogonthenog
Check out our Patreon for the exclusive podcast feed.Support Smog On The Nog
- How to distinguish Swastika from a Nazi Symbol? - YouTube — Clip From Intro
- Do you know what this is? |Staff of Hermes - YouTube
- The History of the Swastika | The Holocaust Encyclopedia
- Jain symbols - Wikipedia
- How Nazis twisted the swastika, a symbol of Buddhism, Hinduism, Jainism, into an emblem of hate — Quartz India
- The Man Who Brought the Swastika to Germany, and How the Nazis Stole It | History | Smithsonian
- How the world loved the swastika - until Hitler stole it - BBC News
- 1938–39 German expedition to Tibet - Wikipedia
- Nazi Germany’s Fascination With Ancient India: The Case Of Heinrich Himmler
- Hitler and the Himalayas: The SS Mission to Tibet 1938-39 - Tricycle: The Buddhist Review
- Caduceus as a symbol of medicine - Wikipedia
- Rod of Asclepius - Wikipedia
- Hermes - Wikipedia
- Caduceus - Wikipedia
- Rod of Asclepius & Caduceus Symbols Meaning
- Barber Pole History - Uppercut Deluxe
- Mathematics of MICHAEL JORDAN:The numbers 3 6 and 9 that follow him REVEALED! - YouTube — Lol- you're welcome